Manual to install Swisscenter on Synology CS/DS

This forum is for installation issues on Synology NAS devices.
Pernod
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Manual to install Swisscenter on Synology CS/DS

Postby Pernod » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:29 pm

When you enter the command:
ls -l /volume1/music/verzameling/Zutons, The - Who Killed The Zutons/04. Zutons, The - Confusion.mp3

What do you get? I wonder if the commas in your filename are causing a problem.
Players : Popcorn A-300 | Popcorn A-200 | Popcorn A-100 | Netgear EVA700
Webserver : Simese v2.6.5 | Apache 2.2.21 | PHP v5.2.17 | MySQL v5.1.32
Server : Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Intel i7-4770K @4.2GHz - 16GB RAM - 5TB HDD | Synology DS412+
AV : Pioneer VSX-915 | Samsung LE40C650

Cel
Flag: Netherlands

Postby Cel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 pm

You're right. The line breaks off after the comma with the message "No such file or directory". But this also happens when the filename has a space in it, that also breaks off the line with that message. On my computer playing the file works in Swisscenter as it come up with a m3u-playlist that I can play with Winamp. Had a Showcenter 200 and I remember that the same filenames worked with that on the Synology. Do you know what causes this to not work on the PCH? Is there any solution other than replaceing all spaces and commas with an underscore?

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Apologies, we actually quote the filename:

ls -l "/volume1/music/verzameling/Zutons, The - Who Killed The Zutons/04. Zutons, The - Confusion.mp3"

so the spaces and commas are not the issue. This command is being called with the PHP exec command which I guess is failing due to security issues. Maybe someone else can advise further on how to resolve this.
Server : Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Intel i7-4770K @4.2GHz - 16GB RAM - 5TB HDD | Synology DS412+

adam

Postby adam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Joe_999 wrote:Update on SwissCenter Installation in case of latest Synology NAS firmware DSM 3.0-1354:

For me installation has become very simple since it seems that all the telnet commands might not be be required anymore; Synology has extended the Web Services settings pages to do enable setting up the required virtual server through the new Synology user interface and additionally access several PHP settings. I have to admit, however, that I am using an existing SwissCenter installation, where I have simply upgraded my DS207+ firmware. However, in earlier firmware upgrades I had to follow the steps as explained by Klaas in his first post to get SwissCenter working again. This time, there was no need to telnet the DS207+, therefore I hope that also with a fresh SwissCenter installation life is now much easier:

The setup required now should be only:

1. Create a volume /web/swiss/ on your DS*** where you put all the swiss installation files and directories; add true type fonts e.g. arial.ttf into /web/swiss/fonts, refer to step [12] in the first post in this thread for more hints.
2. Log into the Synology NAS user interface on to the Control Panel - Web Services
3. Open subfolder Control Panel - Web Services - Web Applications
3. Enable "Web Station" and "MySQL"
4. Create Virtual Host: Subfolder Name = swiss, Host name = swiss, Protocol = HTTP, port = 8050 (proposal only)
5. Open subfolder Control Panel - Web Services - PHP Settings
6. "Enable PHP cache" (comment: not sure whether this is required, but it appeared probably in my case from my earlier SwissCenter installations and was kept after the DS207+ firmware upgrade)
7. "Customize PHP open_basedir": add ";" as first character to obtain ";/usr/bin/php:/usr/syno/synoman:/etc:/var/run:/tmp:/var/spool/php:/volume1/@tmp/php:/var/services/web:/var/services/photo:/var/services/blog:/var/services/homes"
8. "Select PHP extensions": add "gd" and "zip" to the already enabled other extensions, in my case "imap", "mbstring" and "mysql"

Start swisscenter from your webbrowser by calling your IP adress of the DS*** with port 8050: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8050/config/index.php.
Now the "SwissCenter Configuration Utility" page should appear without any failure messages, you might have to set, however, the correct locations and file names of the cache and the true type font under the "Advanced Options / Cache Settings" and "Advance Options /Miscellaneous" menus.

On the page "Information / Support Info" the locations of the programs "SwissCenter" and "wget" should have been found and displayed. If the function "wget" location is missing, Swisscenter doesn´t recognize the Synology NAS and therefore uses the shell_exec function, which is still not available in the latest firmware. To solve this you can change the latest "shell_exec(....)" statement in file.php in Swisscenter´s base directory to "exec(...)". If the "wget" function has not been located, the media search functions won´t work properly in SwissCenter, therefore it´s essential, that SwissCenter finds this function!

Note for Nigel: The System string in php.info on my DS207+ now reads: "Linux DS207 2.6.15 #1354 Sat Oct 23 01:49:30 CST 2010 armv5tejl"

General note: I am not sure if in case of a fresh SwissCenter installation the commands in [5] and [6] of the first post would be required. In that case you would indeed have to telnet the Synology NAS. Maybe somebody can check this issue and report it here?

Regards

Joe

I have tried joe999's quick method of installing swisscenter on a diskstation 110j without using any of the telnet commands from the manual. (so I haven't even done steps [5] and [6] like he tentatively suggests)

A lot (nearly everything even?) seems to work OK: I can watch videos and listen to music with the now playing screen.
BUT wget isn't found. I can (only) make the path appear in the support info page by hardcoding it into file.php but it still doesn't actually work. So I can only search for new media by manually calling media_search.php from the browser.
Is there a way to fix this? Is it related to my taking shortcuts during the installation rather than following the manual?

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 pm

adam wrote:I have tried joe999's quick method of installing swisscenter on a diskstation 110j without using any of the telnet commands from the manual. (so I haven't even done steps [5] and [6] like he tentatively suggests)

A lot (nearly everything even?) seems to work OK: I can watch videos and listen to music with the now playing screen.
BUT wget isn't found. I can (only) make the path appear in the support info page by hardcoding it into file.php but it still doesn't actually work. So I can only search for new media by manually calling media_search.php from the browser.
Is there a way to fix this? Is it related to my taking shortcuts during the installation rather than following the manual?

If you update to the latest development release you will see a new page in the Config - External File Locations where you can manually specify the full path of your wget.

klaasvaak

Postby klaasvaak » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 pm

adam wrote:BUT wget isn't found. I can (only) make the path appear in the support info page by hardcoding it into file.php but it still doesn't actually work. So I can only search for new media by manually calling media_search.php from the browser.

I'm not sure if I get you right, but hard coding the path in file "/base/file.php" is not the way to make it work; the problem is that the Synology boxes don't support function shell_exec() which SwissCenter uses to detect wget. So, if you replace function shell_exec() with exec() according step [11] of the manual, your media search will run smoothly.

adam wrote:Is there a way to fix this? Is it related to my taking shortcuts during the installation rather than following the manual?

There has been some discussion on this topic; you can find it here.

cheers, Klaas
SwissCenter SVN 1971
Apache 2.2.31 (Unix) / PHP 5.5.38 / MySQL v5.5.51-MariaDB / Linux QNAP 3.4.6 #1
QNAP TS-259 PRO+, firmware: 4.2.2, build 20161214
0PCH A-110/KAIFA EP-6000 firmware: 01-17-110314-15-POP-403 (05-04-2011)
PCH A-210, firmware: 02-04-110519-21-POP-411-000 (27-05-2011)

Image]

adam

Postby adam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for these quick replies pernod and klaasvaak!

Ok, I have updated to the latest development version [1576], sorted out my file.php so it reads exec rather than shell_exec (and rather than being hardcoded), and manually entered the wget location as /usr/syno/bin/wget in the new external file locations config.

New media scanning still doesn't work, except if i call the media_search.php manually from a browser. I have read the link you suggested klaasvaak and my problem is discussed but doesn't seem to get resolved there - does that mean I am stuck like this?

Pernod

Postby Pernod » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:22 pm

adam wrote:Ok, I have updated to the latest development version [1576], sorted out my file.php so it reads exec rather than shell_exec (and rather than being hardcoded), and manually entered the wget location as /usr/syno/bin/wget in the new external file locations config.

Is /usr/syno/bin/wget the actual executable wget file or the folder that contains it? It must include the actual filename of wget.

adam

Postby adam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Pernod wrote:
adam wrote:Ok, I have updated to the latest development version [1576], sorted out my file.php so it reads exec rather than shell_exec (and rather than being hardcoded), and manually entered the wget location as /usr/syno/bin/wget in the new external file locations config.

Is /usr/syno/bin/wget the actual executable wget file or the folder that contains it? It must include the actual filename of wget.

I'm getting out of my depth now. I don't know. I copied that from
[url='http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9881']this thread[/url] where klaasvaak and joe_999 discussed related issues and settled on that string...

how would I find out?

Hoorna

Postby Hoorna » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 pm

adam wrote:
Pernod wrote:

I'm getting out of my depth now. I don't know. I copied that from
[url='http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9881']this thread[/url] where klaasvaak and joe_999 discussed related issues and settled on that string...

how would I find out?

I will try to help you out.
  1. It is not necessary anymore to "Customize PHP open_basedir" as Joe_999 suggests in (step 7).
  2. Do not adjust base/file.php! Keep the original version. Adjusting is not necessary anymore.
  3. On Config-page External File Locations fill in the path of wget: /usr/syno/bin/wget.
Swisscenter should work now correctly. If not: did you change the file permissions of the swisscenter-files with Telnet (chmod 777 and chown nobody:nobody [see the manual of Klaasvaak])?
Synology DS713+/DSM 5.0-4458
Apache 2.2.26 / PHP 5.5.9 / MariaDB 5.5.34 / wget 1.15
SwissCenter 1.23.1 SVN Revision 1914
Pinnacle ShowCenter 1000g

klaasvaak

Postby klaasvaak » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:43 pm

Nigel wrote:Is /usr/syno/bin/wget the actual executable wget file or the folder that contains it? It must include the actual filename of wget.

"/usr/syno/bin/wget" is the actual executable file,

cheers, Klaas
SwissCenter SVN 1971

Image]

adam

Postby adam » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Hoorna wrote:
I will try to help you out.
  1. It is not necessary anymore to "Customize PHP open_basedir" as Joe_999 suggests in (step 7).
  2. Do not adjust base/file.php! Keep the original version. Adjusting is not necessary anymore.
  3. On Config-page External File Locations fill in the path of wget: /usr/syno/bin/wget.
Swisscenter should work now correctly. If not: did you change the file permissions of the swisscenter-files with Telnet (chmod 777 and chown nobody:nobody [see the manual of Klaasvaak])?[/quote]
Thanks Hoorna - it's made it worse :laugh:
The system tests don't appear now when I open the config web interface, the right hand side of the screen stays blank, but otherwise things seem OK. I suspect errors will emerge if I play with it though... Weird. I think it was your step 3 (the chmod and chown from the manual) that did this.
Anyway, the find new media still doesn't work.

klaasvaak

Postby klaasvaak » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install SwissCenter on my DS-107+ with the latest firmware. Here I ran into the problem that my media directories are not recognised as valid directories.

Although I tried serveral setting in my php.ini but without success. Could someone who's running SwissCenter with the lastest Synology firmware (3.1 series) upload his/her php.ini so I can have a look where I'm going wrong.

many thanks in advance, cheers, Klaas

EDIT forget about my post: Synology put some of the php.ini settings in a separate user file, being:

/usr/syno/etc/php/user-setting.ini
SwissCenter SVN 1971

Image]

IrenePappel
New User
New User
Flag: Germany

Postby IrenePappel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Model: Synology RS3614xs, DSM6.1

Question 1:
Swisscenter Manual Step 7:
I don't have a php subfolder in /usr/syno/etc/ .
What am I doing wrong? I need to enable something first?

Question 2:
Isn't there a Synology package to ease the installation? I don't like SSH/Telnet and command prompts in general.

Question 3:
The last activities seem to have occured in 2011/2012 here in this forum. Is Swisscenter still been maintained/supported or is there any other better alternative now in 2017 (besides AudioStation)? I am only looking for MP3 streaming in my house via my Synology RS3614xs for all devices including web frontend and filter options.

Thanks and all the best from Germany,
Irene

klaasvaak

Postby klaasvaak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi Irene,

Welcome to the forum. Let me go through your questions one by one.

IrenePappel wrote:I don't have a php subfolder in /usr/syno/etc/ .
What am I doing wrong? I need to enable something first?
Yes, you have to enable the PHP in the menu of your Synology (see here).

IrenePappel wrote:Isn't there a Synology package to ease the installation? I don't like SSH/Telnet and command prompts in general.

I’m afraid not, although there is an app for MusicIP, which is a very nice addition (see here).

IrenePappel wrote:The last activities seem to have occured in 2011/2012 here in this forum. Is Swisscenter still been maintained/supported or is there any other better alternative now in 2017 (besides AudioStation)? I am only looking for MP3 streaming in my house via my Synology RS3614xs for all devices including web frontend and filter options.

Continuous development stopped (due to other commitments of the developer), but it’s maintained and all essential features work flawlessly.
Of course there are alternatives, but I couldn’t find one that is so flexible in creating playlists as SwissCenter.

Hope this helps. If you need assistance re installing SwissCenter or using its features, just drop a line.

cheers
SwissCenter SVN 1971

Image]

Return to “Synology”