Tagging of mp4 files

If you have any ideas on how to make the SwissCenter better, then post them here!

Tagging of mp4 files

Postby elgreco » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:47 pm

I was wondering whether it would be possible to use the metadata obtained from movie and tv parsers to tag any file which is an mp4 file with the relevant data. I find that the parsing with the swisscenter is far superior to any tagging programme I have come across.

If is was easy to do this by modifying the parser code to insert the tags into the mp4 file, this would allow those files to then be imported into iPads/iPods, etc without losing this valuable info.

My programming isn't good enough to modify the parsers, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks
elgreco

Re: Tagging of mp4 files

Postby Pernod » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:52 pm

This is not really in the scope of this project. Writing tags to files is far more complicated than reading them. The GetID3 library that we use to read tags from files is also capable of writing tags, but only to a few filetypes, not including mp4.

To write tags to a mp4 file you would have to fully parse all tags that are currently in the file, which can be in various formats such as Quicktime Atoms, ID3v2.x, etc., then write it all back with the ammended tags. This will never be part of SwissCenter.
Players : Popcorn A-300 | Popcorn A-200 | Popcorn A-100 | Netgear EVA700
Webserver : Simese v2.6.5 | Apache 2.2.21 | PHP v5.2.17 | MySQL v5.1.32
Server : Windows 7 Professional 64bit - Intel i7-4770K @4.2GHz - 16GB RAM - 5TB HDD | Synology DS412+
AV : Pioneer VSX-915 | Samsung LE40C650

Pernod
Developer

Return to Suggestions + Enhancements